On This Day in History
- Texas Instruments in 1954 announced the first transistor radio.
- Félicette, a black and white female Parisian stray cat in 1963 becomes the first cat launched into space.
- Walt Disney's "Jungle Book" film is released in 1967.
- 1967 – The Soviet probe Venera 4 reached Venus in 1967 and became the first spacecraft to measure the atmosphere of another planet.
- In 1979, The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) begins allowing people to have home satellite earth stations without a federal government license.
- US 62nd manned space mission STS 34 (Atlantis 5) was launched into orbit in 1989.