1. First. make an “X” with two Popsicle sticks. Then tie a knot around the cross section of the two sticks. With the long end of yarn, start wrapping the yarn around the middle section of the two Popsicle sticks, this will secure the sticks and make sure they don’t move around.
2. Using the long end of the yarn, and beginning on one side of the Popsicle stick “x”, wraps the yarn around two Popsicle sticks in a figure eight fashion. We made our butterflies extra colorful by using two or three colors on each one.
3. When you finish with the first color, tie a knot with that color to one of the Popsicle sticks. Using a new color, tie a knot to one of the Popsicle sticks with the new color and wrap the yarn around the two sticks in the same figure eight fashion.
4. Then after finishing the making of butterfly wings, tie off the yarn and cut the ends of any remaining bits of string. Fold a pipe cleaner in half and place it around the center of the butterfly.
5. Now twist the bottom portion of the pipe cleaner below the butterfly a few times and then twist the top portion of the pipe cleaner to create the butterfly antennae. To create a head you can thread a large wooden bead through the pipe cleaners on top of the butterfly. Finally, wrap the antenna around your finger to create a curve in the antenna.