1. Cut the template in your desired shape. Iron your chosen fabric to remove any creases. Pin your chosen template to the fabric, carefully cut out the fabric shape, and then remove the pin.
2. Pin the fabric shape to a piece of felt, leaving some space around the edge of the shape. Sew a line of small running stitches around the inside of the fabric shape, a few millimetres from the edge. Remove the pin. Use the template provided to cut out the small felt heart shape from a second shade of felt. Sew the felt shape in position on the fabric shape with more running stitches.
3. Carefully trim away the excess felt around the fabric shape, leaving a few millimetres around the edge of the fabric to frame it. Now use the shape you’ve just cut out as a template to cut out a matching piece of felt of the same colour. This second piece of felt will be the back of your brooch.
4. Turn over the backing shape and sew a brooch clasp slightly above the centre of the shape. Double your thread and sew the clasp securely in position, being careful to not pierce through the front of the brooch.
5. Hold the front and back of the brooch together and sew around the edge with a running stitch, joining the felt layers together. Finish your stitching neatly at the back with a knot and trim any excess thread.