1. The ceremonial event heralding the Thrissur Pooram was performed by star elephant Thechikottukavu Ramachandran.It opened the southern gopuram (door) of Vadakkumnathan temple in the presence of thousands of fans.
2. The elephant, the second tallest in Asia, was allowed to perform the ceremony by the District Captive Elephants Monitoring Committee (DCEMC).
3. The pachyderm was brought in a truck from Thechikottukavu temple near Peramangalam and taken back in the vehicle after it opened the temple doors for the Pooram.
4. The elephant had been doing it for the past five years and had made it an attractive event associated with Pooram.
5. The fans of the elephant danced to the traditional percussion and cheered the animal as it raised its trunk to greet the crowd.