1. Tamil Nadu is set to distribute free shoes and socks to student’s classes VI to XII of government schools from the next academic session.
2. Chief Minister Edappadi K Palaniswami has issued orders to distribute shoes and socks. Under the existing scheme, the state government provides free footwear (chappals) to 58 lakh students from classes I to X.
3. As part of the decision to upgrade the scheme, the government has allocated an additional Rs 10.2 crore.
4. The free footwear scheme was introduced for students considering health reasons such as hookworm infection, especially in rural areas where many come from socially and economically backward classes and has to walk long distances to their institutions through unhygienic environments.
5. Free notebooks, textbooks, uniforms, laptops, bicycles, even crayons and drawing for Chennai Corporation schools are among the best schemes in the country.