1. Pranab Mukherjee was conferred the highest civilian award by his successor Ram Nath Kovind. He has been the fifth president to receive this award.
2. He was greeted on receiving the accolade by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, Vice President M Venkaiah Naidu and other leaders who were present at the ceremony.
3. The 83-year-old served as India's 13th President from 2012-2017. Mukherjee also served as the Union Finance Minister from 2009 to 2012.
4. Acclaimed Assamese singer Bhupen Hazarika and RSS leader Nanaji Deshmukh were conferred the award posthumously.
5. The Bharat Ratna has been conferred after a gap of four years.