1. Researcher from Mexico has discovered way to turn cactus leaves into non toxic and biodegradable material with similar properties to plastic.
2. This innovation offers a promising solution to one of the world’s biggest pollution conundrums caused by toxic and non-biodegradable plastics.
3. The pulp of the prickly pear cactus is strained to obtain a juice.
4. Then it is mixed with non-toxic additives and stretched to produce sheets that are coloured with pigments and folded to form different types of packaging materials.
5. This material obtained is non-toxic, environment friendly and biodegradable.
6. It is plastic made from all-natural plant materials (including corn oil, orange peels, starch, and plants etc.).
7. It can decompose naturally in the environment when microorganisms in the soil metabolize and break down the structure of biodegradable plastic.