1. Parliament has passed National Institute of Design (Amendment) Bill, 2019, with the Lok Sabha approving it on 26 November 2019.
2. The bill was already passed by Rajya Sabha on 6 August 2019. The Bill will now be placed before President to seek his assent, before it becomes a law.
3. The bill seeks to amend National Institute of Design Act, 2014 that declares National Institute of Design, Ahmedabad as an institution of national importance.
4. The bill will help fulfil the aspirations of a new and modern India. It also seeks to declare 4 National Institutes of Design (NID) as institutions of national importance .
5. These institutes are located at Kurukshetra in Haryana, Amaravati in Andhra Pradesh, Bhopal in Madhya Pradesh and Jorhat in Assam.
6. The four institutes will have the standards at par with the institute in Ahmedabad and will impart quality education in the field of design.