1. The government has capped maximum retail price of hand sanitizer at ₹100 per 200ml bottle till June 30 this year.
2. Similarly, price of a 2 ply (surgical) mask has been capped at ₹8 and that of 3 ply (surgical) masks at ₹10 till June 30.
3. The price cap has been imposed taking into account the sharp increase in prices of raw materials used in making of face masks and hand sanitizer.
4. Both masks (two-ply and three-ply surgical masks, N95 masks) and sanitizers have been brought under the Essential Commodities Act, 1955, empowering states to regulate production, distribution and prices of these items.
5. The Centre has also invoked the Disaster Management Act to ensure price regulation and availability of surgical and protective masks, hand sanitizers and gloves.