An old inscription on the entrance arch of Jama Masjid in Golconda dates the monument to 1518. The deciphered inscription officially marks 500 years of Golconda kingdom. Workers have given a fresh coat of white paint to the Safa Masjid or the Jama Masjid near Habshi Kaman outside the Bala Hissar Darwaza. In the process, the old inscription on the main doorway has been given a coat of golden colour setting it off against the white background. Before the golden colour, the inscription was painted over with a dark green colour making it unreadable. The inscription reveals that the mosque was built in 924 Hijri or 1518 AD, according to an Arab scholar who deciphered the inscription. “The inscription reveals that the Masjid was built during the time of Bahamani Sultan Mahmood Shah by Sultan Quli Qutubul Mulk, who was the owner of the country. It was Golconda kingdom founded by Sultan Quli Qutbul Mulk at the foothills of the mountain that expanded over course of time into Hyderabad and Cyberabad. Hyderabad was founded 73 years after Golconda by Sultan Quli’s grandson Muhammad Quli across the River Musi in 1591. It was the masjid and the township built by Sultan Quli over the next few decades that transformed the shepherd’s hill into a diamond trading hub whose fame echoes even now in auction houses across the globe.